Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Chicken Pot Pie with a Biscuit Twist

I got this recipe from a Nora Roberts book and twisted it to fit my time constraints. DA said I may as well throw out my old recipe because he was never going to let me use it again. I think that means he likes this new version!

1 fryer chicken
2 cans cream of celery soup
Flour
1 cup potatoes
1 cup carrots
1-2 handful frozen peas
1 can lima beans
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1 ½ T basil
¾ t oregano
1 ½ t rosemary
Thyme
Pepper
Salt

Boil a whole fryer in a big dutch oven, covered with water until done through. When the skin peels easily and the legs and thighs separate at the joint it’s done. (about 1 to 1 ½ hours)

Remove the chicken and set aside to cool. Preheat oven to 400.

Skim the grease out of the broth and add cream of celery soup before thickening it a bit with flour. Scoop some broth out – the empty soup cans are handy- and stir some flour in that so it doesn’t lump. Add the garlic and onion poder, basil, oregano and rosemary. Add a sprinkle of thyme, and a dose of pepper and salt. This will thicken as it cooks. Simmer on low. Peel and chop potatoes and carrots. Add them to the broth. Add peas and lima beans.

When the chicken’s cool enough, remove the skin, pick off chunks of the meat and add the meat to the broth until the chicken’s picked clean. Simmer until veggies are done.

While the veggies are cooking, make biscuits.

Baking Powder Biscuits (makes about 9-10 biscuits)

2 c flour
3 t baking powder
1 t salt
¼ c shortening
¾ c milk

Combine dry ingredients and cut in shortening. Mix in milk and roll out on counter. Cut out biscuits. Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes.

Top cooked biscuits with the soup mixture. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kris said...

Sounds yummy! Now that it is colder I will have to start cooking more. Do you know Brooke Goldy? You can get to her blog through Carole's blog her name is Brooke Linton now, I think she went to school with you.

Olivia said...

I do remember her. I didn't get an email to Carole in time before she went private though.

M :-) said...

Oh my gosh - that sounds SO good!

Kris said...

Send me an email and I will get the info to her. krisnhank1 @ comcast.net