Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cheesesteak Subs

I am crediting Real Mom Kitchen for this recipe. It was fast and easy and really good. TJ even liked it. AM turned up her nose but that's pretty typical these days. This one has made the cut and will be going into my cookbook. The only changes I made was to replace half of the butter with Olive Oil and I added tomatoes after the sandwich had been put together. Thanks to Maria for having some oregano on hand. I had forgotten that when we moved I threw a lot of outdated spices away.

Quick and Easy Cheesesteak Subs

3 tablespoons butter
1 green pepper, halved and sliced
1 onion, halved and sliced into thin half moons
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons A-1 steak sauce
1 pound deli roast beef, cut into 2-inch strips
Salt and pepper
4 -6 (6-inch) sub rolls (depending on how meaty you like them – I did 6)
4-6 slices provolone cheese, cut on half

In a large skillet, melt the butter, add the onion and peppers; cook until softened and golden.  Stir in the garlic and oregano and cook for a minute, until it smells fragrant. Add the A-1 sauce and the beef, stirring well to coat the beef with the sauce and onion/butter mixture. Cook until the meat is heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Place the sliced rolls on a rimmed baking sheet. Place to halves of provolone on half of each roll.  Broil until bread is toasted and cheese is melted. Top each roll with meat mixture . Serve immediately.

No comments: