Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What a moment for my mama heart...

TJ has always been very shy. He's always on the fringes of crowds and never joins into groups until he's sure of the reception he's going to receive. Moving has been hard on him. He's struggled to find where he fits in. I didn't realize how bad it was until he started carrying around his puppy that he's had since he was a baby. For 2 years puppy had only been slept with at night and all of a sudden he was being carried around the house and talked to. Puppy was swinging on the swings with him, watching TV with TJ and was a constant companion. Nearly broke my heart once I clued in to what was going on. But, things have improved over the past two weeks and the past two days have been even better. *Whew* We didn't ruin his life by moving.

Part of his shyness has also extended to all those primary programs at church. DA and I have had 5 years of Mother's/Father's Day programs with no one singing to us. He's never participated in the Christmas programs at church or the yearly Primary Programs. Every year, to each of those events, we would walk him down the aisle to the front just to have him start sobbing.

Until this year.

He went down on his own without a qualm. I'd been praying the whole week that he would be able to do it and not be scared. He went and sat up on the stand and sat there smiling. He sang the songs and when it was time for him to speak his part he did so without a quiver.

Totally made me cry. He's finding his way and he's going to be okay.

My sweet, soft-hearted, geeky little boy who INSISTS on tucking his shirt in each day. I wouldn't trade him for the world!

3 comments:

Kris said...

Wow so proud of him! I have one who tucks his shirt in every day too :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah for him!!! He'll grow out of the tucking his shirt. Connor was like that for a few years too. My brothers teased me constantly about it!

Kim said...

Love that boy. :)